4/06/2010

Low-fat gingernuts

Baking is my new passion and as they say practice makes perfect! However, as I´m getting married soon and don´t want to put on weight, I opted to make these low fat gingernuts using a recipe from my trusty Weight Watchers Made to Measure recipe book. I used to be able to buy McVities gingernuts in the local Mercadona but they stopped selling them and this homemade version is just as good if not better! Usually when I bake biscuits they never turn out right but I have to say these are the best biscuits I´ve ever made! Although the biscuits were quite small, they were quite thick and chunky with a nice crunchy base. I didn´t alter the recipe as it didn´t need it and at only 80 calories per biscuit, what more could you want ?




Gingernuts (makes 12) according to Weight Watchers recipe book


Ingredients


2 tsps ground ginger


120g (4 oz) self-raising flour


1/4 tsp ground cinnamon


1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda


60g (2oz) margarine


1 tbs honey


30g (1oz) soft brown sugar

Method


1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC, 350ºF,Gas Mark 4


2. Sieve flour, spices and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl.


3. Heat the margarine, honey and sugar in a small saucepan until the margarine has melted and the sugar has dissolved.


4.Pour into flour and mix well.


5. Divide mixture into twelve equal pieces and form into balls as shown in the picture:



6.Flatten biscuits slightly with the palm of your hand:



7. Bake in oven for 15-20 mins till biscuits turn a golden brown colour.

Once cool, you can enjoy them with a nice cup of tea!
Tip: I once read or heard a tip from Jaime Oliver or someone to get honey or golden syrup to run off your spoon, run the spoon under hot water for a couple of minutes and then the honey/syrup should run off the spoon easier.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Please feel free to leave your comments-would love to have any feedback-thanks!

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails